new Subsurface-mobile for iOS in TestFlight with experimental Mares BlueLink Pro support

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Apr 13 19:42:00 PDT 2018

So this is experimental in a few ways:

a) I think I have figured out how to get iOS to allow the user access to the subsurface.log file

This is still a little fragile in my experimentation, but it seems to work reasonably well, at least with iOS 11.
Basically we tell iOS that we are making a document available for sharing. In older iOS version this apparently then requires some tricks with iTunes, but in iOS 11 you can now see a "Subsurface-mobile" folder in the Files app (or when attaching things to an email message) and you'll see a subsurface.log file in that folder. The trick is to do the things that you want to see the log for in Subsurface-mobile, then wait a little until the file size of the log file is several kB (initially in my tests it would show a few hundred bytes if you accessed it too soon). You can then open that file (actually rather hard to get it to open as text) or simply attach it to an email. This will contain the log data that we are interested in for the next step.

b) I have enabled the three Mares dive computers that support the BlueLink Pro (Puck Pro, Smart, Quad) on iOS - so these are now a valid option for dive computer downloads

c) I didn't know how those dive computers identify themselves to the BLE stack... so on iOS I recommend starting Subsurface-mobile, opening the AppLog (under Developer - you may have to enable Developer mode in Settings), finding your dive computer in the scan list, memorize the UUID (ok, a few characters of the UUID) and then in the download from dive computer screen pick that UUID (and Mares and your dive computer)

Now there is a small chance that it Just Works™ - and that's great. But even if it doesn't work, hopefully the data that we log in the subsurface.log file will help us figure out what was going on. So in either case, please send us that file.

I know - this is quite painful. But I'm hoping that this will help us get /real/ support for those three Mares dive computers over BLE...

Thanks