Change water type

Robert Helling helling at atdotde.de
Sat Apr 14 04:40:44 PDT 2018

Hi,

> On 14. Apr 2018, at 11:36, tormento <turment at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I noticed that some of my old dives were imported with 1000g/l water.
>
> Is there any way to edit, manually or automatically the salinity of those ones?

it’s true that currently you cannot change the water type (was: salinity) of a dive downloaded from a computer, you can only use the value provided by the computer. This is a) because nobody has implemented a user interface to change it and b) (more importantly) because the water type is not so much about how salty the water tasted but how to convert ambient pressure (which is what the dive computer actually measures) to depths and back. But what the computer reports is depth and for the calculations (like SAC and the deco stuff) we again need the ambient pressure. So this is off if the dive computer and Subsurface do not agree on the conversion factor. So even if you were diving is sea water and your dive computer was set to fresh water (or missing that setting not set at all) it would still be better to log this as fresh water in Subsurface (to get the conversions right) than to manually set that to salt water (or we would have to correct the depths accordingly).

Best
Robert