Any brave dive computer download testers out there?

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Thu Apr 19 00:58:17 PDT 2018

On 18/04/2018 05:35, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>   So libdivecomputer has a new custom IO model, which allows us to drop
> our home-made one.
>
> However, that new model is fairly different from our old model, and
> there were other updates too, so the changes are "flag-day" changes
> where we switch over both libdivecomputer and subsurface together.
>
> I have *TEST* branches for both, in case people want to help test.
> Note! I only do source code, so this really only works for people who
> can build their own subsurface binary, but if you are one of those
> hardy souls, it realy would be good to get more cases tested.
>
> I have verified and downloaded:
>
>   - Shearwater Perdix AI over BLE
>
>   - Suunto EON Core over USB
>
>   - Suunto Vyper Air over the Suunto USB serial line
>
> so many of the transports have been tested. But I don't have any
> rfcomm devices (ie old bluetooth) and I don't have any "direct USB"
> devices (eg Atomics Aquatics Cobalt).
>
> Also, I only tested on my Linux desktop, because that's how I roll.
>
> Anyway, if you can build subsurface and libdivercomputer, and are
> interested in testing, I have test branches for both:
>

> It may break things. I'd be surprised if it doesn't. So keep that in
> mind. This is very much for people who are happy playing around and
> helping get some coverage for early work.
>
>                         Linus

I tested on a Petrel 2. On the desktop, the following:

I tried all three options (auto, classical,BLE) in that order. For Auto
and classical, upload worked. Only one comment, the initial handshaking
appeared to take quite a bit longer than usual. In fact, a warning
appeared in the red bar at the bottom of the Subsurface screen "Timeout
connecting to device...". Yet, eventually, the transfer did take place
and successfully. For BLE, the desktop could not connect to the Petrel.
I am reasonably sure the newer Petrel 2 like mine are dual mode but I am
not 100% sure of this. Not much info on the Shearwater web site that I
could see.

My Galileo downloaded well through IrDA.

As far as mobile version is concerned, I did not get far because Android
complains of a corrupt package. I suspect the problem lies with my
Android, not with the package.

Kind regards,

willem

Please refer to