libdc, libzip, Mac and Android updates

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Aug 7 20:51:37 PDT 2018

> On Aug 7, 2018, at 6:23 AM, Jef Driesen <jef at libdivecomputer.org> wrote:
>
> On 2018-08-06 01:01, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>> a) tiny change to libdivecomputer (Linus, this was so trivial that I
>> simply pushed it to our branch... Jef, I /think/ you want this as
>> well) to recognize the Aqualung i750TC as Bluetooth capable
>> divecomputer. I don't know, yet, if it needs any additional code to
>> actually work - I created an Android APK for the one user who appears
>> to have this dive computer to try a download under Android
>
> I also don't know whether bluetooth (rfcomm) communication will work out of the box or not. I know from Nick that the BLE communication requires some small changes to protocol, and to make things even worse there are several different BLE variants. So BLE support will certainly need some more work first. But for rfcomm, I have no idea. I don't even know whether the device support it.
>
> So for the time being, I think I'll postpone applying this patch until someone can conform it does indeed work. Otherwise it will create false expectations for users.

I think you are correct - this was based on data from one user and it seems that sadly the data were misleading. The device he tried to download from wasn't actually the rfcomm BT address of his i750TC, but instead his headset... :-(
So it seems this is indeed a BLE device which makes this much harder to do. I'll adjust the code in our branch accordingly, but until we figure out how to actually talk to it over that BLE link, that's not really useful.

> Note that there are some more bluetooth capable models as well:
>
> * Aeris A300CS

We have one of those, but I think Linus gave up trying to get it to work.

> * Oceanic Pro Plus X
> * Oceanic VTX
> * Aqualung i300C (not supported yet)

I've seen all three of those when looking around on the web. There are a few more from vendors I'm not familiar with.