4.8.1 has been released

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Jul 13 16:53:23 PDT 2018

Tags are pushed. Source are up. Binaries are up. Post is up on our website, but not yet on FB. Download links are updated.
I wonder what I forgot this time...

The announcement would benefit from translation.

Speaking of which, we should reconsider some of the translations that we offer.

Dutch and Spanish are clearly actively maintained. German is somewhat maintained.
The other languages haven't seen updates in a long time...
Do we have people interested in maintaining French, Italian, Polish, Russian, Portuguese, and Finnish?
Because if we don't, then maybe we should discontinue those and focus on those languages where we have active maintainers.

Speaking of that - it's high time to refresh our website content in the first place. The pages haven't changed in quite a while and I think they are pretty stale and outdated at this time.

Any volunteers? Anyone with a knack for writing good copy who'd love to contribute to Subsurface by helping us refresh the website?

In the meantime, thanks to everyone who helped track down a couple of odd and hard to fix bugs, especially the download and configuration issues with some OSTCs and of course the crashes on Mac. These were rather odd issues to run into after the release.
While the log seems to indicate that the vast majority of the work was done by Jan and myself, I think it's fair to say that by far the majority of our commits are incremental improvements to the build system and cleanup work. The feature work came mostly from the other people in this list.

$ git shortlog -s -n v4.8.0..
    41  Dirk Hohndel
    25  jan Iversen
    16  Berthold Stoeger