Missing pO2 samples from CCR download [was: 4.7.8: a couple of questions]

Davide DB dbdavide at gmail.com
Wed May 23 05:58:18 PDT 2018

On Wed, May 23, 2018, 12:08 Willem Ferguson <willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za>
wrote:

Hi Willem,

Thank you for the kind reply. I will try to explain me again

> Davide,
>
> Does the correct pO2 show on the Shearwater download software (i.e. the
> Shearwater Desktop)?. This means that the data are correctly reported,
> not a default calibration value as currently with Subsurface.

Yes,
Everything is ok using the Shearwater software to download dives.
pO2 samples are there and they are correct. I know it for sure because in a
couple of dives I had the time to make oxygen and diluent flushes during my
long deco taking note of dive time and values.
Later I could find those values on Shearwater desktop.

> If this is the case, then the problem should in principle be solvable
> and it possibly means that the coding in the dive log is slightly
> different from that of the standard Petrel and the Fischer Petrel 2. The
> most knowledgeable person to approach is Jef Driesen but he would need
> some specific information from your download. A first approach is to
> inspect the .bin dumpfile generated for debug in Subsurface. Then use
> his dctool executable (If I remember correctly it can do Bluetooth and
> it is extremely flexible) and see if you can trace the pO2 values.
>
> I am not sure this is what you may want to hear, but assume that (if you
> want the problem solved) you need to take the initiative. You may
> possibly be the only person in this circle which has a divecan Petrel so
> you are in the best position to address the problem.

While I do not pretend anything (of course), regarding your questions I can
assure you that I made everything I could as end user. I gave
- Shearwater desktop screenshots
- Shearwater xml exported logs
- Subsurface xml logs
- Subsurface bin dumps
- dctool dump files

My only fault was not filing a bug report on Github to resume everything in
one place.
I even asked on the list if someone else was using a Shearwater Petrel ECCR
controller and, maybe experiencing the same behavior. No reply. So I don't
know if it's my specific unit or not.
BTW I recently updated Petrel firmware to the latest version without
results. While it's possible I'm the only Shearwater ccr user on this list,
we are speaking of the most common eccr controller on the market nowadays.
It's used on countless rebreathers not an obscure dive computer
implementation.

Everything started months ago when I discovered that pO2 samples reported
by Subsurface were completely different (and wrong) from Shearwater desktop.
There was a long email thread in which AFAIK no solution was found: my
Petrel is strange.
Maybe I missed something and Jef or Anton modified something. I don't know
but at some point pO2 samples disappeared from Subsurface hence I opened
this thread but I'm failing to understand what "default calibration" means
and why in my logbook I find the same device listed with random number of
sensors.
I asked again today because because even a "guy you must die!" reply  it's
ok but I got no replies at all.

Bye

--
davide at mobile