4.8.2: processing offloaded Garmin Descent files

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Sep 19 14:48:10 PDT 2018

> On Sep 19, 2018, at 2:10 PM, Adric Norris <landstander668 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> This isn't really my issue (I came across it in the Garmin forums), but caught my interest since the behaviour seems to vary by OS... and I'm not sure if that's expected. To summarize, the question was "Is it possible to process FIT files which have already been downloaded to my computer, instead of requiring them to be present on the watch?".
>
> What I found was that on Linux, simply placing them into a subdirectory named Garmin/Activity seems to be adequate. Just choose the parent directory as "Device or mount point", and all of the files are processed without any apparent issue. The relevant output from "subsurface -vv" in this case was:
>
> Starting download from  /home/adric/Descent
> INFO: dc_device_open error value of 0
> Finishing download thread: 50 dives downloaded
> Set the current dive site: 0
> Set the current dive site: 0
> Set the current dive site: 2185751990
> Set the current dive site: 2185751990
> Set the current dive site: 2185751990
> Set the current dive site: 1239251936
>
> Doing the same thing on Windows 10, on the other hand, results in no files being identified. Its output  was:
>
> Starting download from  C:/Descent
> INFO: dc_device_open error value of 0
> EVENT_DEVINFO gave us the correct detected product (model 0 instead of 2859)
> Finishing download thread: 0 dives downloaded
> Set the current dive site: 0
> Set the current dive site: 0
>
> So I guess the real question is, should this approach work on Windows as well? That doesn't seem like an unreasonable expectation, especially given that the Descent presents itself as a mass storage device. But it's also not a terribly pressing item, since this probably won't be the typical use case and the workaround is super obvious. In the end, I'm merely curious. :)
>
> I don't have access to a Mac, so no idea which side of this line it falls under.

Most of the development and testing of the Garmin code was done exactly this way - by downloading from a local folder.
But of course the developers aren't using Windows :-)
The "EVENT_DEVINFO" in the Windows output makes me wonder what's going on - the FIT file seems to have not been from a Garmin Descent.
I will have to try this myself and try to see if I can gleam anything useful by adding some debugging prints... but fundamentally I'd assume that this should work.