4.8.2: processing offloaded Garmin Descent files

Adric Norris landstander668 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 14:10:23 PDT 2018

This isn't really my issue (I came across it in the Garmin forums), but
caught my interest since the behaviour seems to vary by OS... and I'm not
sure if that's expected. To summarize, the question was "Is it possible to
process FIT files which have already been downloaded to my computer,
instead of requiring them to be present on the watch?".

What I found was that on Linux, simply placing them into a subdirectory
named Garmin/Activity seems to be adequate. Just choose the parent
directory as "Device or mount point", and all of the files are processed
without any apparent issue. The relevant output from "subsurface -vv" in
this case was:

Starting download from  /home/adric/Descent
INFO: dc_device_open error value of 0
Finishing download thread: 50 dives downloaded
Set the current dive site: 0
Set the current dive site: 0
Set the current dive site: 2185751990
Set the current dive site: 2185751990
Set the current dive site: 2185751990
Set the current dive site: 1239251936

Doing the same thing on Windows 10, on the other hand, results in no files
being identified. Its output  was:

Starting download from  C:/Descent
INFO: dc_device_open error value of 0
EVENT_DEVINFO gave us the correct detected product (model 0 instead of 2859)
Finishing download thread: 0 dives downloaded
Set the current dive site: 0
Set the current dive site: 0

So I guess the real question is, should this approach work on Windows as
well? That doesn't seem like an unreasonable expectation, especially given
that the Descent presents itself as a mass storage device. But it's also
not a terribly pressing item, since this probably won't be the typical use
case and the workaround is super obvious. In the end, I'm merely curious. :)

I don't have access to a Mac, so no idea which side of this line it falls
under.

--
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people
very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -Douglas Adams