[TEST REQUEST] Windows Bluetooth LE build

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Sat Sep 29 15:23:21 PDT 2018

On Sat, Sep 29, 2018 at 3:03 PM Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> Interestingly enough, the two BLE dive computers I tried with are
> both Shearwaters who AFAIK require random addresses. I don't
> see, however, how that would cause the error pairing.

Yeah, the pairing should work at the Windows side, but then if we
don't use the proper random address to connect to the device inside
subsurface, we'll never connect.

That said, I really think it's a Bluez-only thing where you need to
have the right "random address" bit when connecting. Afaik nobody else
does that, and it really is a misfeature in Bluez that it requires it.

So I *think* it should be a non-issue for Windows, and there is
something else going on.

> The third one (Suunto EON Steel) I couldn't figure out how to even
> pair with Windows 10...

Yes, the EON Steel and Core are hard to pair to begin with. It's black
magic under Linux too, you need to do special things with bluetoothctl
to just _see_ it when scanning, and even then you need to actually
enable device privacy for the pairing to work.

Suunto very clearly didn't want people to pair with the EON Steel/Core
manually, and they don't support BLE at all on their desktop
application. You're supposed to use the USB cable for downloads on the
desktop. It seems entirely intentional.

              Linus