Information tab in desktop version

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Thu Apr 18 08:43:03 PDT 2019

On 2019/04/18 16:45, Hartley Horwitz wrote:

>     3) Water type is obtained directly from the dive computer and
>     translated
>     to g/liter. I would really like this heading to be "Water density"
>     and
>     not "Water type".
>
> I assume the entry is "salt" and "fresh" or "salt" and "sweet"?

Hmm, the datum currently reported is the water density, that is a
floating point number. I suspect one could mess with the code so that a
user can enter a string, and then translate that string to a density
number. This one needs some careful thinking because one would be mixing
two concepts, water type and water density but in terms of
userfriendlyness it is possible to do such a translation. I would like
to hear Dirk and Robert Helling's opinions on this.

>     I've attached a change to the main notes page:
>
> * move the line containing duration and depth up to the same line as
> dive start time.
> * move duration closer to the time, so now I read the start of the
> dive & the duration
> * tags goes to the line below, allowing a longer entry field

The screen mockup I made was using the notes panel for *manual* dive
entry, in other words, a dive computer was not involved. When a dive
computer is used, the line with depth and duration does not exist
because, of course, this is all obtained during the download process. On
your own Subsurface, look at your usual notes panel layout. Of course,
when depth and duration does not feature (as in dc downloads) then your
suggestion is not really applicable. Your valid question is whether a
special adaptation should be made for the *manual* dive entry panel. I
am undecided about that because there would be inconsistency between the
dc-download and manual-entry versions of that panel.

The mockup achieves a smaller info panel (less vertical space) that
leaves more vertical space for the notes. Dirk had a clear preference to
achieve this.

I hope this makes sense?

Kind regards,

willem