dive site handling

Henrik B A henrik at synth.no
Sun Feb 24 13:29:42 PST 2019

On Sun, Feb 24, 2019 at 8:40 PM Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> Would those be referenced by planned dives? Or do you really mean
> "unreferenced", i.e. you create a dive site, save the dive file and quit
> the app, and then later add a dive at that site?
> Just making sure I understand the model you are proposing.

Create a dive site, quit the app, do a dive, log it, attach it the dive
site to the dive.   Nothing related to the "dive planner" as such.    This
is part of what I mean with dive sites as a first class citizen.

I might even research some dive sites weeks or months before a trip, and
then use that as a base for navigating to the dive sites when I get there
to go diving.

> The issue with not pruning unreferenced dive sites is that over time you
> might accrue a lot of garbage in your dive file. E.g., whenever you dive
> with a Garmin Descent or similar dive computer (there are none right now)
> that store GPS data, that creates a new dive site. Typically I then switch
> to the existing one if I have been at this site before, which creates an
> unreferenced site. Having all of those accumulate over time might be
> annoying.

I see the point, but as of now very few dive computers have  that feature.
After a basic, simple dive site database is in  place, we can use that to
suggest (or automatically choose) the correct dive site for the user based
on GPS position.

Henrik

(Resending, I first sent this only to Dirk)