dive site handling

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Feb 24 14:16:09 PST 2019

> On Feb 24, 2019, at 1:25 PM, Henrik B A <henrik at synth.no <mailto:henrik at synth.no>> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Feb 24, 2019 at 8:40 PM Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org <mailto:dirk at hohndel.org>> wrote:
> Would those be referenced by planned dives? Or do you really mean "unreferenced", i.e. you create a dive site, save the dive file and quit the app, and then later add a dive at that site?
> Just making sure I understand the model you are proposing.
>
> Create a dive site, quit the app, do a dive, log it, attach it the dive site to the dive.   Nothing related to the "dive planner" as such.    This is part of what I mean with dive sites as a first class citizen.

Thanks for the clarification. I thought that's what you meant.

I think a reasonable logic here would be that each dive site has a flag that says "auto created" (for example when downloading from a dive computer with GPS) or "manually created" (like in your example).
And the auto created ones could be purged if unreferenced. That should deal with most of my concerns while still allowing your use case.

> I might even research some dive sites weeks or months before a trip, and then use that as a base for navigating to the dive sites when I get there to go diving.

Makes sense.

> The issue with not pruning unreferenced dive sites is that over time you might accrue a lot of garbage in your dive file. E.g., whenever you dive with a Garmin Descent or similar dive computer (there are none right now) that store GPS data, that creates a new dive site. Typically I then switch to the existing one if I have been at this site before, which creates an unreferenced site. Having all of those accumulate over time might be annoying.
>
> I see the point, but as of now very few dive computers have  that feature.  After a basic, simple dive site database is in  place, we can use that to suggest (or automatically choose) the correct dive site for the user based on GPS position.

I really hope that the GPS feature becomes much more common. The Garmin really is NOT a great dive computer, but there are now a number of us who use it as backup DC simply because of the GPS feature. It's just so neat to have that information without needing to mess with a phone or anything else.

/D

(also resent as I missed the missing Cc)