to 4.9 or not to 4.9

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun May 5 10:31:12 PDT 2019

Berthold,

In many ways this is a question mainly to you - but I didn't want to do this off list, so here it is in English...

We have a TON of progress in master. And a few unfinished parts. Dive site handling still has some rough edges, tanks and weights aren't part of the undo changes (those are the two big ones I can think of right now).

At the same time, Willem is starting to look at a redesign of the Notes/Info tabs. Which is also a rather fundamental change to the user experience.

Right now I'm struggling with not having enough time and energy for Subsurface (part of that is the day job, a bigger part is actually being in the final month of building a new house, preparing for the move, getting the old house ready for sale, etc). I don't see my situation getting significantly better for the next two months TBH, but I really think we need a new release before then.

With all that said, what's the right path to get there?
What should be in, what should wait for the next release?
How can more people help finish the missing pieces?

I'm mostly looking for ideas and suggestions - none of this is intended in any way to criticize the rate of progress or anything you are doing.

Thanks