more improves for Subsurface-mobile 3.0.2

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Mar 30 12:00:10 PDT 2020

This email is about 4.9.3.1263 which should show up as Google Play beta
in the not too distant future...

On Mon, 2020-03-30 at 09:15 -0700, Dirk Hohndel via subsurface wrote:
> On 2020/03/30 00:03, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> > > Upon activating the software,  I get a message "No dives in dive

> > Yes, please do that. Just "Loading dive list"
>
> That's already in 4.9.3.1258. Did this not work for you?

I notice that this shows up fine on my faster devices, but on my oldest
and slowest one (a Nexus 5x) it isn't shown and I don't quite
understand why.

> > Hitting the Android BACK button still exits Subsurface.
>
> Oh, interesting. I tried to make sure that this works and here's the
> odd thing that I see. If I go back to the dive list from a different
> page, open the context menu and hit the back button, the app exits.
> It doesn't exit if the main menu is open and I hit the back button.
> And
> it doesn't exit if I first start the app, open the context menu and
> hit
> the back button (the context menu closes as expected).
>
> Very strange and something to investigate further.

I realized that we are trying to handle the back button in two
different places. With 1263 I can no longer reproduce the issue.
Hitting the back button only exits if you are on the dive list with no
drawers open.

> > Dive site editing while editing dive information. I hit the pencil
> > icon
> > while a dive profile is showing. Editing the dive location is a
> > mess.
> > tried to remove some of the text and ended up with gibberish. I
> > suspect
> > it is a case where the screen pointer and the internal text pointer
> > do
> > not point at the same place in the text field. See the screen movie
> > at
> >
> > https://www.dropbox.com/s/ucss7bqtc7mdnp6/20200330_133215.mp4?dl=0
>
> Thanks. The video seems to show a bad interaction between auto
> completion of the drop down and the editing on the screen.
> I thought I had turned auto completion off for that field.
> Admittedly, I have never tried to first select something from the
> drop
> down and then edit that text. Playing with it a little on a couple of
> phones I cannot get anything nearly as bad as what you show in the
> video, but I do see some odd auto completions happening.
>
> Definitely more investigation needed.

I still cannot reproduce the crazy effects you are seeing. I'll keep
looking into this.

> > In the dive summary screen, the Avg SAC (when all dives are used)
> > gives
> > a zero or a negative value for both columns of results. The other
> > SAC
> > values displayed appear ok.
>
> I haven't seen that effect (and again tested this on two phones with
> different test accounts with different data), I will look at the code
> to see if I can understand how that would happen. Do you have a
> screen
> shot for this effect?

Haven't reproduced this one, either.

> > After editing a dive and exiting to the dive list: when I select,
> > from
> > the list, a different dive to view, the Android keyboard comes up
> > in
> > front of the dive information. Disabling the keyboard by hitting
> > the
> > Android BACK button only disables the keyboard for a few seconds,
> > then
> > the keyboard reappears. Frustrating. Restarting Subsurface removes
> > the
> > problem.
>
> I was able to reproduce this behavior. Yikes that is annoying. I'll
> work on that one, first :-)

At least for me, this one is fixed in 1263