UI for dealing filter sets

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Tue May 26 00:26:11 PDT 2020

On 2020/05/25 19:54, Berthold Stoeger wrote:
> Hi Willem,
>
> On Montag, 25. Mai 2020 17:49:57 CEST Willem Ferguson wrote:
>
>> My idea was to add the tools for dealing with sets to the toolbar at the
>> top of the filter panel. Something like the attached image with the set
>> controls grouped together. What was your conception of the number of
>> controls required? This image has three tools for manipulating sets, but
>> two of them would be complex. Firstly, the Save set control would
>> probably need to bring up a text box for naming the set to be saved.
>> Secondly, the List sets combobox showing all the saved set names would
>> need a right-click context menu for deleting a set and possibly for
>> editing a set. The number of tools should probably be minimised but on
>> the other hand the interface should be as intuitive as possible. What
>> are your thoughts?
> This is in principle one of the two designs that I had in mind. The
> other one would have been an extra tab for the management of the sets in
> analogy to the dive-site tab (including e.g. renaming of sets).
>
> I am not sure whether I understand the "Clear sets" button. Would it clear all
> the sets? My original idea was to have a "Clear current set" button instead of
> right-click.
>
> I was also contemplating if there should be a "default" set, which can't be
> deleted and is activated if the user switches to the filter.
>
> Another question to ponder: If the user selects a set and changes the filter
> constraints, is the selected set overwritten or does the user have to
> explicitly save the set?
>
> Berthold

Hi Berthold,

I am happy with whatever you feel is appropriate. The crucial question
is the life expectancy of a set that has been saved. If it has a long
life (maybe longer than a week or 2???) then a separate set manipulation
tool may be warranted. I am not sure that a logical AND operation would
be necessary when applying a filter with 2 or more sets on the dive
list. An AND operation is probably best implemented *within* a single
filter panel. Would this be correct?

Kind regards,

willem

Please refer to