towards Subsurface 4.9.8

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sat Nov 7 11:28:11 PST 2020

Hi Kim,

That is absolutely awesome. I really appreciate the amount of effort you put into this. That means a lot to the active developers here.

> On Nov 6, 2020, at 11:11 PM, Kim Delmar via subsurface <subsurface at subsurface-divelog.org> wrote:
>
> 1. Ubuntu 18.04; locally built from latest git: Subsurface 4.9.7-248-g360123d432a9

I would have loved to get more testing of the various distro builds (but I will admit that the Ubuntu distro build is one that I tested myself since it's one of the more common one that people tend to use) -- but I only tested it in a VM, not on a physical device.

> 2. MacOS 10.15.7 Catalina, installer from /downloads Subsurface-4.9.7-248-g360123d432a9.10.15+11.0.dmg
> 3. Windows 7(!) 64-bit: installer from /downloads, subsurface-4.9.7-247-g1d7a44ea855.exe

Windows 7. NICE :-)

> Dive computer download tests are from a Shearwater Perdix - non-AI, but it has the newer BLE hardware so Subsurface detects it as a Perdix AI.  I tested by downloading ~170 dives, using both firmwares v72 and v81 (no differences seen).

Oh cool - that's a great dive computer.

> Problems common to all platforms:
> - in the dive computer "device names" tab, all three columns (Mode/DevID/Nickname) are too narrow by default, all columns need to be widened to read the headers and table data.
> - Filter set names can be saved with embedded HTML tags, and when reloaded the HTML tags are rendered directly as HTML in the "Current set" field. I dont know if it could be exploited to do XSS by loading a malicious dive log.  I couldnt find any other user-inputted text that behaves like this, only the displayed filter set save names.
>
> - Filter set save names are mangled if you use the ampersand character. "& " (with trailing space) gets rendered as "_".  Seems reasonable to have a filter set named "Alice & Bob" for your dives with both Alice and Bob.  Workaround is to name the filter set "Alice && Bob".

I believe that Berthold has responded to all three of these and fixed or improved at least the first two. With latest master (not looking at Berthold's latest branch, yet), I can reproduce that the drop down doesn't include the '&' - everything else seems to render it correctly

> 1. Ubuntu 18.04:
> Perdix BLE downloads worked OK using the Shearwater-supplied CSR dongle.

Good.

> - There's no User manual menu item in my build. I expect I did something wrong when I built from source. A quick test of the prebuilt AppImage from /downloads (Subsurface-4.9.7-247-g1d7a44ea8b55-x86_64.AppImage) shows it has a functioning user manual.

You have to install QtWebKit-devel and then call the build.sh with '-build-with-webkit' in order to get the built in user manual... that's one of the reasons I ask people to test all the various combinations of distros / OSs. Because it's so easy to get this wrong in one of them. And for a while that was the thing I consistently messed up "somewhere" - the builds seem to get that right these days. Now it's user mode FTDI, HIDAPI, and potentially MTP that I worry about :-)

> 2. MacOS Catalina (in dark mode):
> No problems with the installer/signing.

Yay!

> - Perdix BLE downloads worked OK with the builtin MBP bluetooth, BUT in the bluetooth "Choose Bluetooth download mode" popup, the panel which shows the discovered BT devices show their names/uuids with white text on white background :-(. Clicking on a device name makes the text show up, but its not friendly to a new user who doesnt know how it is supposed to look.

You are saying that 'white on white' is not your preferred color choice? That's odd :-)
Ok, I'll fix that. Thanks for catching it. As I've said many times before. I never use dark mode.

> Interestingly, BLE dive computer downloads were *much* faster on MacOS than on Ubuntu. 3-4 seconds per dive on MacOS, 12-15 seconds per dive under Ubuntu. Not sure if that is a consequence of the different BLE dongles in use, or something else.

It's a timing issue between the various layers of the code. Linus has tried to figure out why it sometimes gets so bleeping slow. 15 seconds times 170 dives... yeah, that takes 40 minutes... I'm impressed that the download completed, frankly.
But of course, in normal use scenarios people rarely need to download more than half a dozen dives...

> 3. Windows 7:
> No installer problems. Doesnt support BLE so cant test Perdix BLE downloads.

Yeah, Window 7 is far less defensive when it comes to signatures. And it seems that even Windows 10 has now created enough installs that the warnings have become less aggressive. At least for me on the two VMs and the one physical laptop that I am trying this with.

> - There was a strange units/preference problem - weights were showing in pounds, despite the preferences being set to metric. But the greyed-out "personalized" settings showed a mix of metric/imperial, seems like this is what was being used. Clicking "personalize" and back to "metric" reset everything to metric and it all works as expected now, and I cant reproduce it. I dont know how it got into this inconsistent state, but I rarely use windows; it probably started up with a preference file from a much older version.

Ugh, that's annoying. But yeah, that could be a left over from a previous run... if it's fixed after switching once, I'm leaning towards ignoring this one.

> Overall, everything worked pretty well, I didnt see any showstoppers.

I repeat, thank you so much. This is really a huge deal. I really wished that more people found the time to do similar tests... you alone already found half a dozen issues that we can now try to fix prior to the release.

Much appreciated.