Grouping and managing dive logs

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Sep 28 08:50:19 PDT 2020

> On Sep 28, 2020, at 8:44 AM, Attilla de Groot via subsurface <subsurface at subsurface-divelog.org> wrote:
>

>> On 28 Sep 2020, at 17:35, JB2Cool <jb2cool at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> They can be grouped into trips but one trip to your local lake is a separate trip to the next trip to the local lake. You can't say that the dives in Oct/Nov 2019 are part of the same trip as the dives in March 2020 when you've been to other places in between. Your example here shows the trip feature working perfectly IMO. If you wanted to shorten the list from what you have now you could make custom trips out of the Netherlands dives between your overseas trips but these Netherlands trips would each be their own short trip rather than one long meta-trip.
>>
>> JB
>
> No, I wouldn’t want to group every dive ever. I would probably group it per year, so from my example the dives in the Netherlands in Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct and Nov would need to be in a group. I understand I can group them in separate trips, but that would defeat the purpose and would e.g create one trip for one dive in September.

Nothing is stopping you from doing that. A trip in Subsurface is purely a logical collection of dives. There is no requirement that the dives are a consecutive group. Sure, the 'auto group' feature works that way, but if you want to do things differently, you can.
From a UI perspective it's a bit of a challenge because... yeah, the dive list really wants to be consecutive / ordered by date. But this isn't all that hard to do.

Go to last year. Select all the dives that you consider local dives. Right click, create trip. Now click on the trip header in the dive list and change the location to 'local dives'. Voila.