testprofile on i686

Robert Helling helling at atdotde.de
Thu Dec 9 10:43:30 PST 2021

Alan,

> On 9. Dec 2021, at 17:39, Alan Brown via subsurface <subsurface at subsurface-divelog.org> wrote:
>
> I see the PR has now been merged. The problem has been with the
> calculation of EAD and END. I am assuming these stand for Equivalent Air
> Depth and Equivalent Narcotic Depth. I believe the Bühlmann ZH16
> algorithm does not use EADs when calculating decompression requirements
> and the EAD calculations are for providing info when viewing the dive
> profile. Is this correct?

Your assumptions are correct. The calculations we were looking at were only for the profile and the information box. They are relevant when you chose your breathing gases not so much for decompression calculations which is what the Bühlmann model is about (well, that’s not entirely true: The EAD tells you that instead of the nitrox gas you are actually breathing you could equivalently calculate the decompression for air but at a modified depth with is the EAD).

The planner does the inverse calculations if you ask it to select a „best mix“: Given a profile, that gas mix has the maximum O2 fraction that does not exceed the allowable partial pressure of O2 (typically 1.4-1.6 bar) and/or chooses the He content such that you will never breath a gas more narcotic than air at a prescribed END (typically 30m).

Best
Robert