Accidental file delete on mobile.

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Sun Jan 17 03:57:41 PST 2021

I replied about the re-designed dive edit layout on mobile: excellent.
However, the issue of accidental deletion of dives is an issue. Given no
visual feedback about deleting dives, the only way I could recover was:

1) Sync mobile with cloud. This means the dive is also deleted in cloud.

2) Do a trivial edit of the dive on laptop and select "save to cloud"

3) Sync mobile with cloud again. This restores the deleted dive.

Ultimately the backup copy of the dive log (the local one on the laptop)
was critical to prevent accidental edits such as these.

An absolutely sure-fire way to prevent accidental deletion of dives or
accidental edits on the mobile platform is critical for a positive user
experience. I can help myself to prevent a catastrophe, but most newer
mobile users will not be able to recover. It would really be useful if
there could be a two-level insurance such as:

1) After editing a dive on mobile and hitting the Save icon (stiffy
drive icon), ("Are you sure you want to save these edits? Y/n")

2) Upon exiting the mobile app, issue a message "Dive(s) have been
edited. Do you want to save these edits? (Y/n)".

Kind regards,

willem

Please refer to
http://upnet.up.ac.za/services/it/documentation/docs/004167.pdf