Accidental file delete on mobile.

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Jan 17 08:11:44 PST 2021

Willem,

The mobile app has the full undo system, so you could have simply reverted the accidental delete on the mobile device.

I do agree there could be more visual feedback, though. I'll take a look at that.

I absolutely hate confirmation dialogs. Because they train the user to blindly click accept and do absolutely nothing to prevent mistakes. They are just a terribly UI, solving the wrong problem. But a transient notice that the user deleted the dive and can recover it via undo makes sense to me.

/D

On January 17, 2021 3:57:41 AM PST, Willem Ferguson via subsurface <subsurface at subsurface-divelog.org> wrote:
>I replied about the re-designed dive edit layout on mobile: excellent.
>However, the issue of accidental deletion of dives is an issue. Given
>no
>visual feedback about deleting dives, the only way I could recover was:
>
>1) Sync mobile with cloud. This means the dive is also deleted in
>cloud.
>
>2) Do a trivial edit of the dive on laptop and select "save to cloud"
>
>3) Sync mobile with cloud again. This restores the deleted dive.
>
>Ultimately the backup copy of the dive log (the local one on the
>laptop)
>was critical to prevent accidental edits such as these.
>
>An absolutely sure-fire way to prevent accidental deletion of dives or
>accidental edits on the mobile platform is critical for a positive user
>
>experience. I can help myself to prevent a catastrophe, but most newer
>mobile users will not be able to recover. It would really be useful if
>there could be a two-level insurance such as:
>
>1) After editing a dive on mobile and hitting the Save icon (stiffy
>drive icon), ("Are you sure you want to save these edits? Y/n")
>
>2) Upon exiting the mobile app, issue a message "Dive(s) have been
>edited. Do you want to save these edits? (Y/n)".
>
>Kind regards,
>
>willem
>

>--
>This message and attachments are subject to a disclaimer.
>
>Please refer to
>http://upnet.up.ac.za/services/it/documentation/docs/004167.pdf
><http://upnet.up.ac.za/services/it/documentation/docs/004167.pdf> for
>full