Translations

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sat Jan 23 10:20:23 PST 2021

> On Jan 23, 2021, at 10:11 AM, Antoni Bella Pérez <antonibella5 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> I know this may sound like a stupid question - but why isn’t your phone
>> running in Catalan? Because IIRC, the mobile version simply assumes that
>> the user will want the app to run in the same language as the device OS
>> (which, TBH, does seem like a reasonable assumption).
>>
>> It is of course possible to add such a selection - but every setting makes
>> the UI harder to use, is one more thing to test, etc. So I’m trying to
>> determine if we really need this for our average user.
>
>  Without knowing someone, there are no stupid questions.

Trust me - there are :-) ;-) 8-]

>  My Android system is set to Catalan only; forced configuration because
> setting Castilian (Spanish) as the second language overlapped the Catalan
> (main language) in many applications. ?? I do not understand.

Ha. That means that there's a bug in Subsurface-mobile. Because it is supposed
to recognize the language your Android system is in and match that.
Could you go to Help->About and tap the button to copy the logs and send
those to me? They should help me understand why this doesn't work as designed.

>>> Personally I prefer to add them sequentially when they are ‘stable’, so
>>> we can check any question in the commit message.
>>
>> I’m not quite sure what you mean by this. Can you explain it differently?
>
> MKVToolNix, fwupd (both use Transifex) and KDE projects as reference:
>  - https://gitlab.com/mbunkus/mkvtoolnix/ <https://gitlab.com/mbunkus/mkvtoolnix/>
>  - https://github.com/fwupd/fwupd/ <https://github.com/fwupd/fwupd/>
>  - https://invent.kde.org/explore <https://invent.kde.org/explore>
>
>  The GUI is 'stable' and the translators will see the changes as they are
> made, so you can always consult the commit register to know more about
> something.
>
>  In addition, KDE and fwupd, also contain comments (aimed at translators)
> from developers. My translator comment ;-)
>
>  This can be ignored: All this is just a comment, which of course you can use
> it.

We are a fairly small project with not as much "structure"...
I typically don't push new strings to Transifex until I consider the UI 'stable',
but often what happens is that as we get closer to a release a few small
changes sneak in (or untranslated strings are found).
The trade-off in my mind is:
- wait to the very end and then ask translators to translate in a rush while everything is frozen
- push strings earlier and give translators a lot more time, but risk that there will be a second set of changes later
I typically tend to favor the second approach.

As for comments for translators. YES, that's definitely something that we should
do more often. Laziness on part of the developers, I guess :-)

Thanks for your input, and I'm looking forward to fixing the 'Catalan on
mobile' bug that you appear to be seeing.