Re: BT doesn´t work

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Sat Jul 10 00:49:29 PDT 2021

On 2021/07/08 08:40, duefer--- via subsurface wrote:

> Hello Together,
>
> my BT connection to my Ratio iX3M dosen´t work.

Dear Duefer,

Contrary to popular belief, Bluetooth is an awful communications
environment. And Bluetooth LE is even more pathetic. You do not give a
lot of information, so here are a few basic steps:

1) Make sure whether your Ratio used Bluetooth Classical or Bluetooth
Low energy (sometimes called Smart Bluetooth if you are an Apple
aficionado). It is critical that you have the correct information. If
you do not have the correct information (Classical or BLE), then
communication with your Ratio is likely to remain a problem.

2) Make sure that the Bluetooth hardware in your laptop can see the
Ratio. Try to pair with the Ratio and see if pairing is successful. If
it is successful, then UNPAIR the connection with your Ratio. The reason
is that Subsurface performs its own paring of Bluetooth devices,
independent of the operating system. It often takes many retries of the
pairing process before your computer sees the Ratio. Bluetooth is
extremely temperamental. Once Subsurface has paired with the Ratio, it
is likely to remember the information and subsequent pairing will be easier.

3) Carefully read the Subsurface user manual (especially section 4.2.2)
and follow the instruction there. In particular, does Subsurface see
your Ratio when you go through the Bluetooth setup?

4) Your screenshot looks like you may be running Subsurface on a Linux
box. You will have to determine in which directory your Subsurface
executable lies. Run Subsurface by typing: subsurface -v -v

This produces the maximum amount of runtime information and is printed
in the terminal. In Windows you can use an analogous process. On a Mac I
have no clue. Carefully scan the debug information in the terminal to
find anything related to Bluetooth. Then copy that information in an
email to this mail group.

Kind regards,

willem

Please refer to