because people are just fundamentally assholes

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Nov 12 15:19:03 PST 2021

> On Nov 12, 2021, at 2:08 PM, Chirana Gheorghita Eugeniu Theodor <office at adaptcom.ro> wrote:
>
> Been there. Dirk look at ASSP V2. It might worth checking it. Very powerfull tool to protect and intercept bad mails. Also aboug DKIM and otger stuff... once big serers marke you a possible spam source.... really hard to get completly clean.

And that is the crux of the problem.
As far as the SMTP server is concerned, there is absolutely no difference between an authentic subscription request and one of these automatically triggered requests that are perceived by the recipient as spam.
The email is initiated by the mailman system, has the exact same text and a previously unknown email address. The difference is that it wasn't a human clicking the button, instead a bot triggered the web link.
I'm trying to make this a bit harder both from within mailman and via the web server configuration - but it's really really hard to detect what is an actual subscription request and what isn't.