Garmin Mk2i - unlikely dive gas

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Jun 12 19:41:05 PDT 2022

Hi Mark!

> On Jun 12, 2022, at 3:52 PM, Mark wrote:
>

> This email has been triggered by your email encouraging users not to ignore or work around errors, but to make them known. So here's one that I've been ignoring for a while.

YAY! Thank you!

> When importing from my Garmin Mk2i, I always get a red error bar on the bottom of the Subsurface window:
> "unlikely dive gas data from libdivecomputer: o2 = 0 he = 0"

And O2 value of 0 is, admittedly, fairly unlikely, wouldn't you say?

> Yes, realise strictly this is libdivecomputer and not subsurface.

No, in this case this is the right place to report it, the Garmin code still hasn't been merged upstream in libdivecomputer and is only available via our own branch... so this is a Subsurface thing.

> It happens after hitting the "Download" button. In all cases the dive computer has been set to Air.  Have not dived nitrox since I've bought the Garmin. Have thought about setting to 22% and see what happens, but have not go around to that yet.

So this is almost certainly a .FIT file on your device that confuses our parser.

Ideally we'd figure out which one it is and have you send us just send that one file, but that puts the onus on you, if you don't mind sharing the data privately, you could simply put ALL of the .FIT files under Garmin/Activity on your Mk2i into a .zip file and send it off list to me and then I can figure this out here.

Obviously there is a risk that some sort of personal data might be included in those .FIT files (I seriously don't know exactly what is and isn't included in those... they contain the wildest stuff...), but I doubt it will be anything more than information about where you did exercises (and what exercises you did) and I really don't care about any of those things... but likely this will help us figure out what causes that annoying error above.

Let me know if you need help how to do this (or if you'd rather figure out which .FIT file it is and then only send me that... I'm somewhat hopeful that I could walk you through how to do that as well)

Thanks again for bringing this up!