Garmin Mk2i - unlikely dive gas

Mark Stiebel mark at stiebel.me
Mon Jun 13 05:31:30 PDT 2022

>>When importing from my Garmin Mk2i, I always get a red error bar on
>>the bottom of the Subsurface window:
>>"unlikely dive gas data from libdivecomputer: o2 = 0 he = 0"
>
>And O2 value of 0 is, admittedly, fairly unlikely, wouldn't you say?
O2 value of zero definitely not going to result in a good dive.

>>It happens after hitting the "Download" button. In all cases the dive
>>computer has been set to Air.  Have not dived nitrox since I've bought
>>the Garmin. Have thought about setting to 22% and see what happens,
>>but have not go around to that yet.
>
>So this is almost certainly a .FIT file on your device that confuses
>our parser.
>
>Ideally we'd figure out which one it is and have you send us just send
>that one file, but that puts the onus on you, if you don't mind sharing
>the data privately, you could simply put ALL of the .FIT files under
>Garmin/Activity on your Mk2i into a .zip file and send it off list to
>me and then I can figure this out here.
It's all dives, not just particular ones. Well, all air dives anyway.
Have not confirmed nitrox.  Without having looked into it at all, I'm
hypothesizing something like the Garmin using a flag for air/not-air,
and assigning the O2% a nonsensical value (null/zero) for air dives.

>Obviously there is a risk that some sort of personal data might be
>included in those .FIT files (I seriously don't know exactly what is
>and isn't included in those... they contain the wildest stuff...), but
>I doubt it will be anything more than information about where you did
>exercises (and what exercises you did) and I really don't care about
>any of those things... but likely this will help us figure out what
>causes that annoying error above.
I'll send you a FIT that I've confirmed raises the error (well, warning)
off list.

>Let me know if you need help how to do this (or if you'd rather figure
>out which .FIT file it is and then only send me that... I'm somewhat
>hopeful that I could walk you through how to do that as well)
Was a little bit of a hassle. Mainly from distraction. I've just come
back from a dive trip, where I was downloading the FITs onto my laptop
and importing them. Now I'm back home I plugged my Garmin into my
desktop and started fighting with Garmin USB. On my desktop I've
installed drivers using Zadig to import directly into Subsurface, but
now Subsurface is the only thing that works - I can no longer connect to
my Garmin using MTP or via Garmin Express. Argh, Why can't Garmin make
things that play nice?

Mark.