Failed install on openSUSE Tumbleweed because of missing and old library

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu May 12 09:13:05 PDT 2022

> On May 12, 2022, at 3:48 AM, Strapinski wrote:
>

> I tried to install subsurface for openSUSE Tumbleweed but it fails with following error:
>
> "nothing provides 'libgit2.so.1.3()(64bit)' needed by the to be installed subsurface-5.0.4-1.3.x86_64"

Clearly an older build using a shared object that isn't included anymore. Kinda sucks from a user experience, but hey, what do you expect with a bleeding edge distro.

> According to a user in another forum the problem is: "It fails to build due to missing qt5-webkit which was removed from Factory half a year ago. So the available binary is the one built half a year ago against older version of the libgit2. In the meantime libgit2 was updated to newer version, so library needed by your software is no more included in Tumbleweed."

That is a concise summary that could also be rewritten to state "Tumbleweed doesn't care about its users and has no concept or understanding what it would mean to be used as an operating system for software that isn't part of Tumbleweed".
That hostility against users that aren't part of the "all in" circle is unfortunately not uncommon.

> I am still a linux beginner and are not able to solve the problem by myself e.g. through modifing Subsurface.

I would very politely suggest that you are on absolutely the wrong distribution for a beginner.
Tumbleweed is a bleeding edge distribution that demonstrably does not try to be useful for beginners and is inward focused on a certain set of power users who rely on a self-contained ecosystem and no outside software.

> The user I talked about above also considered that "QtWebKit is needed, if you want to print" and the options are "modify Subsurface to use something else for printing support" or "build Subsurface for openSUSE without printing support".

That user is correct - and also utterly unhelpful. Because neither of those are useful responses to a "linux beginner".

> Can anyone help with that or has other ideas?

Yes. Please switch to a different distribution that actually cares about you as a user.
openSUSE Leap - if you want to stay in the SUSE ecosystem. Or Fedora 36. Or Ubuntu. Those are likely your best three choices if using Subsurface is part of what you want to do with your Linux box.