Web app for subsurface

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sat Jan 7 15:04:14 PST 2023

Hi Assaf,

> On Jan 7, 2023, at 11:54 AM, Assaf  wrote:
>
> I wonder if there is a plan to make subsurface as a web application (React, Angular, etc.).

Not really.

> I noticed that there are desktop applications but no web (the current user experience can be improved IMO).

Correct.

> If it’s something that is under plan or if you are searching for someone that will start it, I will be happy to be involved.
>
> In addition, I have an idea for a dive web app that I would like to start so I'm thinking maybe if it's possible to do it under the subsurface organization.

The Subsurface app structure is in large parts based on on code that comes from a number of key libraries. For talking to dive computers, for talking to the backend server for cloud storage, for local storage, etc. And it makes quite extensive use of Qt. I have no idea how that would be possible from a web app - I know very little about web applications, so this may be a deal killer, or this may be easy to do - I simply don't know.

As for the question of a "dive web app" - there are a number of websites that allow a user to manage their dives over the web - divelogs.de <http://divelogs.de/> is one that Subsurface is fairly well integrated with. So from our side there are no plans to build something that would compete with them.