Bug: Cylinder editor doesn't honor sorting

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Mon Dec 12 08:08:08 PST 2011

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 12:25 AM, Jef Driesen <jefdriesen at telenet.be> wrote:

> We could go even one step further and show the actual percentage (using
> the O2 for nitrox and the O2/He representation for trimix) if there is only
> a single gasmix, and the "classification" when there are multiple

So for trimixes, you pretty much always have multiple mixes, but we
could do it for the case of a "single trimix".

Dirk emailed with our local instructor, who suggested showing just the
trimix number (not the max-O2/max-He number). I made that change
already, and I think for trimix it's fairly easy (I just show the
highest Helium content one if you have multiple - but we could do
"least oxygen" too as a measure of deep gas or just "size of
cylinder").

He further suggested that we should just show the bottom gas in
general, but that ends up looking odd to me when the bottom gas is air
but there's nitrox involved as a deco gas. With trimix, you don't have
that issue - the bottom gas is always going to be the trimix one.

Your suggestion for just showing "classification" would solve that
issue (show it as "EAN" since there is EAN involved even if it isn't
the bottom mix), but quite frankly, it's going to take up as much or
more space than the numbers would, so I personally hate that
combination of "less information, more space".

One additional issue for me is that I want the display to also "make
sense after sorting by that column", so I do want to show the number
that things get sorted by. In the trimix case it's the max Helium
content (which gets shown), and in the Nitrox case it would be the
highest O2 content (which would be the top end of the range we would
show). Again, showing just the bottom gas for a Nitrox dive would
completely screw with that, and the sorting would look very odd and
not at all match the display.

So I'm now leaning towards just showing a range for the "multiple
Nitrox gases". So if you are diving trimix, you'd see the trimix
("17/50" or whatever, and the deco bottles would be not show at all),
but if you dive nitrox it would show the percentage range (so "28-50"
would be "EAN28 at the bottom, 50% deco bottle")

                                      Linus