From JDiveLog to Subsurface

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Sun Oct 30 14:34:47 EDT 2011

On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 10:42 AM, Linus Torvalds

> There's just too much to love there. Pressures seem to be in Pascal
> (Yay for scientific notation: "pstart: 2.05E7"), and tank volumes seem
> to be in cubic meters (so a 12-liter tank has a volume of "0.012".
>
> I'm impressed.

Btw, I'm constantly surprised by people who think that "SI" means that
you have to use the exact base units. And then those same people will
happily use "minutes" and "hours" for time and date representations
(or even "day, month and year" which are even further away from the
base SI units), and they never see how stupid they are for using "m^3"
for volume or "pascal" for pressure.

I wonder if they all grew up in the US and think that SI units are
something you use for physics, rather than something that is actually
*practical*.

                                 Linus