Qt Mainwindow skeleton done. [focus on menus]

Amit Chaudhuri amit.k.chaudhuri at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 00:47:31 PDT 2013

Hi,

here's a proposed outline of a remodelled set of menus. Top level entries
are marked with asterix. Menu items are prefixed '>'.

I don't think we need sub-menus, but for the view stuff (relating to the
main 3 GUI elements only) I think an additional context menu might be worth
it.  Qt menu stuff makes that very easy.

Square brackets around the main rationale for each section.

Various comments added inline.

* File * [All major app, config & file operations]

----------
----------
----------
> Preferences       // zoom toggle moves to here; so does filter events &
autogroup
----------
> Quit

* Dive Computer * [Dive computer operations or equivalent]

----------
> Add dive

* Web * [All web operations]

> Web Download
> ..??                // what else might we do with the web service?

* Planner * [All planning stuff]

> New plan
> ..Copy plan         // if we need new plan features they live here
> ..Delete plan       // these two [copy, delete] sprung to mind as examples

* View * [Window & view management]

----------
----------
----------
> Next Computer      // what do these two do - maybe move to Dive Computer
> Previous Computer  // if these relate to dives grouped by DC?

* Help * [User help & info]

> About subsurface
> Help
> ..Report bugs      //

I wonder about an alternative scheme which has an explicit 'edit' top level
menu.  In that scheme one might group the preferences and any editing
functions here.  Edit / add dive / plan / locations / preferences....but
not sure that's necessary/desireable if the gui elements allow in place
editing nicely.