picture of the will-be dive planner

Pablo Wolter pwolter at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 16:32:20 UTC 2013

Hi Guys,

As Christmas is approaching I'll tell you what I wish to see in the planner ;-)

On the Subsurface version I have installed from github it took me days (literally) to find (by accident) the planner under "View". Will be good to have it in its own menu and open it in its own window. This will allow you to have settings specifically for decompression diving like algorithm used, safety factors (conservatism level of personal GF settings, etc.) and SAC rates to name a few. CC divers will want their set point.

I'm going to provide my feedback based on your image and the experience I had with the Qt 3.1 version so far. Bear in mind I am a bevy user of V-Planner and their new MultiDeco which rocks (it has Bhulmann and  GF which works fine with the Pretel I own).

On screen shot I will change ATM Pressure for Depth …. you basically plan a dive for X depth and Y minutes (and surface interval in case of repetitive dive planning). I normally don't play with SAC rate unless I notice a change and this usually happens over time. So I'll put this in a settings or configuration page. The same for the GF.

What I would add is a list/option to select gases to use and tank choices per gas mix. In other words, to link a gas with a tank size for the overall gas consumption calculations based on your SAC rate settings.

I'll also put the Las Stop in settings and maybe make it a scroll down menu to select it. If I dive here in Seattle from shore I'll usually stick with the 10 feet (3 meters) … if I do a boat dive in open ocean (with waves, surge, etc.) I usually put my last stop at 15 feet (4.5 meters) or 20 feet (6 meters) to stay away from the surface waves. Not for any other reason than I hate it and sometimes I got dizzy going up and down every few seconds at the mercy of the waves.

I think the work flow should be, after your settings are done, to select or activate (from a list) your gas mixes (and tanks) input your depth, time click OK and see the table with the graph generated with all your stops and gas switches.

From that point, you can use the graph to change stops (make them longer or deeper) and re calculate the profile and air consumption.

The tables will need only your depth, time at that depth, run time and mix used at that depth.

Will be extremely great to have the ability to generate based on the depth/time you selected the contingency profiles. I usually cut 4 different profiles per tech dive in case my computer has issues and I have to finish my dive with tables and my bottom timer.

    1- When everything goes fine in terms of depth and time.
    2- When I also lost my deco mix
    3- Adding 10 feet (3 meters) in case I have to pull my buddy's ass or have to go a little deeper than planned.
    4- If I have to stay 5 extra minutes at that depth.

This profiles I carry on my wet notes or slate in case my computer decided to go vacation in the middle of any dive. This profiles should be good to have in a way ready to print or copy to the clipboard.

I will also like to see a tissue graph, just to see how the different stops or GF affect their saturation ratios/levels.

I found confusing (or very no intuitive) the arrows and plus signs in the corners of the graph. Tried to use them to plan something and ended up with a 60 meters dive for 251 minutes! Never found how to fix/correct that. I assume this is due the version of Qt 3.1 planner I have.

I have provided what I would like to see in the planner in the case we want to take this to the limits and make it the "best" dive planning tool …. I would like to see this features to start planning my decompression dives with subsurface and be sure I'll return to the surface and not get bend.

Thanks for the awesome work and tremendous software.

On Aug 26, 2013, at 4:23 PM, Tomaz Canabrava <tcanabrava at kde.org> wrote:

> if anyone wanna try - it's on github, tcanabrava/subsurface/finishDivePlanner
> dirk - don't merge this on master yet, I'm working heavly on it.
> For the testers, it's more or less the same as the old one, with the table on it.
> I'm siging out for today, but tomorrow I'll add table-based-edition like the old one.
> :)
>

> On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 7:49 PM, Tomaz Canabrava <tcanabrava at kde.org> wrote:
> http://snag.gy/WfgDG.jpg
>
> people, comment on it please. it's in heavly modifications so I need a bit of feedback.
>
> Tomaz

Saludos,

Pablo Wolter
pwolter at gmail.com