Companion app 1.3 released

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Mar 18 08:58:59 PDT 2013

kraymond at shaiton.org writes:

> Le dimanche 17 mars 2013 à 20:45:00 (+0100), Aurélien PRALONG a écrit :
> [snip]
>

>> BTW Dirk, is there a transifex project for the companion ? If not, it would
>> be great to add it.
>>

> Hi Aurélien,
>
> I don't think there is a companion project yet under Transifex.
> I can see two ways to include it:
> - Adding the files directly to the existing one
> - Creating a sub project which will re-use the same translation teams as
>   subsurface, which would then be moved as a Hub project.
>
> The first solution will just move all companion files to the existing
> page/project. If you have only one file for translators, fine. If not, I
> think the second solution is best.
> Android applications are supported by Transifex as a file format. See[1],
> you will understand it better than me.

It is just one file - I don't know whether a sub project would make
things harder or easier. One thing to keep in mind is that the releases
are asynchronous.

> The second option, let also define other maintainers and set different
> releases per project. It's probably best. We can also think about
> creating a subsurface-website subproject in order to translate the
> websites (but I don't know any wordpress PO export plugins).

There is no good interface for translating WordPress. That's one of the
major complaints about WordPress. Right now I have given translators
accounts on my server and that seems to work well.

> Dirk, If you prefer the second solution, I can help Aurélien creating the
> project and help setting the subsurface one as a "Hub". However, I think
> we can't register resources under a Hub project. Therefore, we will
> probably need to create a subsurface-divelog project which would then
> outsource the subsurface translation teams, and add move the existing
> translations/resources there.
> It wouldn't be too much trouble for the translators.

I'll follow your guidance on that.

> Aurélien, If you need help to create the Transifex project or upload the
> resources, tell me. I can setup this for you, I just need to know which
> are the files to give to translators.

It's just one file; if you clone the subsurface-companion git tree
you'll see res/values/strings.xml and the translations are in
res/values-XX/strings.xml with XX being the two letter language code
(strangely russian is under ro and not ru)