Divelogs.de integration

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Sat Nov 16 11:35:39 UTC 2013

On Sat, Nov 16, 2013 at 10:44 AM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> Thiago, almost always dives are in local time - so technically they have
> NO timezone at all.
> Think about it. When I dive in Palau at 14:00 on Monday, I don't want
> this to show up as a 21:00 dive on Sunday when I look at my dive list at
> home...

That said, I was thinking that we might want to add a timezone field
to the *trip*.

That way, if you end up filling that in, and really cross timezone
boundaries and dive within 24h in different time zones, we could do a
better job at calculating deco loading.

I suspect it's mostly theoretical, since most of the time you need to
fly for the timezone to change appreciably. And if you fly in between
dives, and you still have enough of a gas loading for it to be a
noticeable issue for deco calculations, you're doing something really
wrong.

And if you drive (or take a boat), the timezone information won't be
off by enough to really matter either.

But adding a time zone to the trip sounds like something we could do
to make some people happier. Not before 4.0, obviously.

                Linus