Some more suggestions

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sat Apr 19 06:58:01 PDT 2014

On Sat, 2014-04-19 at 08:12 +0100, Marcin Małecki wrote:

> http://trac.hohndel.org/ticket/491

> http://trac.hohndel.org/ticket/492

Thanks

> >> 3) Empty space on the profile graph - when dive profile is charted
> >> some
> >> space is left unused on the right hand side. This space varies with
> >> dives. On shorter dives over 50% of the graph area is unused on longer
> >> dives about 15%. It would look better if only say 3% of the available
> >> area was left empty.
> >
> > This is actually an intentional design decision. The way Subsurface
> > works you can get a good idea of the relative length of dives when
> > scrolling through the dive list. So we have a minimum duration (and
> > depth) and only increase those in discrete steps.
>
> I am not sure you can get any idea of the relative length of the dives
> when scrolling.
> This could only work if scale on the graph is fixed. Now it changes from
> 5/15/25 on short dives to 10/30/50 on longer with 5/15/25/35/45 in
> between. With such scale changes you will not be able to see relative
> lengths. If length is what you are looking for perhaps fixed scale would
> be better. Currently I do not see how it achieves stated purpose.

Well, maybe your data set is different from mine. If I scroll through
the dives of a dive trip, the scale hardly ever moves (and if it does,
thanks to Tomaz' animations it does so in an animated fashion). And
overall I am getting a very good feeling for relative length of the
dives.

> think that having variable scale is better then fixed but with minor
> change of no minimum scale. Currently I think 5/15/25 is a smallest
> scale allowable. In other words time interval is 10min perhaps 5min is
> better? Or to add more flexibility allow user to select in
> Preferences/Graphs minimum time interval 5/10 min.

The more preferences we add, the more confusing the application will
become for new users. We are already allowing too many things to be
configured (IMHO). We managed to move some of this out of the
preferences with the toolbar buttons and that's a great improvement.

I don't think this one reaches the "value vs. clutter" trade-off point
where I'd support adding another option - but if many here agree with
Marcin I'd be willing to reconsider