Partial push of Josh's configure-dive-computer GSoC project

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Aug 18 18:49:46 PDT 2014

On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 10:07:36AM -0700, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Thursday 14 August 2014 10:16:37 Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> > > You can conditionally build on the DC_VERSION_CHECK(0,5,0) macro. That
> > > would only break if you checkout a much older commit on the master
> > > branch. But why would anyone want do that? The master branch is an
> > > unstable development branch for a reason. But as promised I'm not
> > > planning any backwards incompatible changes (from v0.4.x) until v0.5 is
> > > released.
> >
> > Good point. I built the Windows and Mac binaries with top of master
> > because it added quite a few fixes over what was in the 0.4 branch.
> > And we can add a note in the README file when I pull this code that from
> > now on we require 0.5-devel or newer, including that specific commit.
>
> I've now added the #ifdefs.
>
> Subsurface will now compile with libdivecomputer 0.4.x, but will always
> complain that the dive computer configurations for OSTC3 are not supported.

Thanks, Thiago.

I have now pulled this into master and will push it out soon.

A couple of comments for Josh:

- looks very good overall - this will be a wonderful new feature for 4.3
- the port detection could be a little smarter; on most platforms you
  should be able to TELL which port has an FTDI based device attached and
  only those are candidates for being the OSTC3
- when saving the backup file the data is saved to the correct file that I
  picked in the dialog, but the nice confirmation dialog that is shown
  afterwards that "Backup successful" shows the default filename
- the widgets showing the gases are a bit unfortunate... the fact that
  they each just show a tiny part of the underlying models is
  disappointing. Would it be better to add a second tab to the the
  information area and have those three widgets there, big enough to show
  all gases, dilutents and set points?

Finally, I haven't looked at the docs, I thought that one could also
change the gradient factors from the PC (that certainly was possible with
the OSTC2). Has that been dropped for the OSTC3 or is this missing in your
UI?

Thanks