1) Robert's patch; 2) the filter panel

Davide DB dbdavide at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 02:48:14 PST 2014

On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 10:56 AM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> Hehe. Agreed to some extend. But as I mentioned, I know that he is trying
> to finish this code - real life has thrown him a lot of problems in the
> last three months and real life always comes first.

Sorry if I gave the impression to put pressure on Tomaz and other. It's not
my intention, really. Maximum respect for private life. I'm just writing my
suggestions and idea with any reference to release date. Moreover I'm not a
developer here.

> > Once  we have decided that 4.3 is going with the present filter panel,
> that gives me the information to generate documentation for the manual and
> I know what to do. Then, the only info I need is the complete information
> for the present operation of the filter panel (key shortcuts, etc)  :-)
>
> My suggestion would be that you wait documenting this for a couple of days
> so we see how much can sanely be implemented in 4.3 and what should be
> pushed to 5.0.
> Worst case I once again adjust my release time line.
>
> I really agree with Davide that the buttons to show / clear / hide the
> filters are important and a must have for 4.3.

I think that control/navigation buttons are fundamental to consider the
skeleton search/filter feature complete.

> The counts are a really cool idea so I want to at least look into how hard
> those would be to implement (and how confusing they would be to the user...
> you could have 30 boat dives and 200 photo dives, yet selecting both boat
> and photo you get 210 dives shown (because some, but not all boat dives are
> also photo dives)... I think this makes a lot of sense, but I'll need to see
> it in action.

Hummm, if I understood it correctly, here we go back to something we
discussed at the very beginning of Tomaz implementation:

how multiple filters should act together? Basically, AND or OR ? :)

Despite of programming boolean operator, as a user I would imagine they
filter each other.
I will try to explain better.

In this mockup:

[image: Inline image 1]

Selecting "reef" on tags view I should get a sublist of 132 dives where I
dove on reef.
If I add "Hap Collins" from the buddy view I (eventually) will get only the
reef dives where I dove with Hap. Hence 132 or less dives.
As the same manner if I select "Reef" and "Ojamo Mine" I will probably get
ZERO dives.

So coming back to Dirk's example, It's tricky :)

you could have 30 boat dives and 200 photo dives, yet selecting both boat
> and photo you get 210 dives shown (because some, but not all boat dives are
> also photo dives)

 IMHO I would expect to filter 230 dives. When filtering more items
(multiselection) in the same category I would expect to ADD them.
Form the mockup: If I select "Batman" and "Spiderman" in the buddies view I
will get all the dives with one of them (OR)

Basically, on multiselection I would expect OR vertically. AND orizontally.

PS
After writing this I went to play a little with the Adobe Lightroom
multifilter and it has the same behavior.
On the camera list view I have one photo with a DSC-T3 and a photo taken
with DSC-T10. Selecting them I have two photos.
Of course we can do whatever make sense for us.
What do you think?

[image: Inline image 2]

--
Davide