1) Robert's patch; 2) the filter panel

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Nov 11 02:55:40 PST 2014

On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 11:48:14AM +0100, Davide DB wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 10:56 AM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
>
> > Hehe. Agreed to some extend. But as I mentioned, I know that he is trying
> > to finish this code - real life has thrown him a lot of problems in the
> > last three months and real life always comes first.
>
> Sorry if I gave the impression to put pressure on Tomaz and other. It's not
> my intention, really. Maximum respect for private life. I'm just writing my
> suggestions and idea with any reference to release date. Moreover I'm not a
> developer here.

Nono, I didn't assume you were putting pressure on anyone. You very
helpfully keep reminding us of your design idea. And you keep improving
that idea. Thanks for doing that.

> > I really agree with Davide that the buttons to show / clear / hide the
> > filters are important and a must have for 4.3.
>
> I think that control/navigation buttons are fundamental to consider the
> skeleton search/filter feature complete.

Yep.

> > The counts are a really cool idea so I want to at least look into how hard
> > those would be to implement (and how confusing they would be to the user...
> > you could have 30 boat dives and 200 photo dives, yet selecting both boat
> > and photo you get 210 dives shown (because some, but not all boat dives are
> > also photo dives)... I think this makes a lot of sense, but I'll need to see
> > it in action.
>
> Hummm, if I understood it correctly, here we go back to something we
> discussed at the very beginning of Tomaz implementation:
>
> how multiple filters should act together? Basically, AND or OR ? :)
>
> Despite of programming boolean operator, as a user I would imagine they
> filter each other.
> I will try to explain better.
>
> Selecting "reef" on tags view I should get a sublist of 132 dives where I
> dove on reef.

It's 100 in the picture :-)

> If I add "Hap Collins" from the buddy view I (eventually) will get only the
> reef dives where I dove with Hap. Hence 132 or less dives.
> As the same manner if I select "Reef" and "Ojamo Mine" I will probably get
> ZERO dives.

So that's AND.

> So coming back to Dirk's example, It's tricky :)
>
> > you could have 30 boat dives and 200 photo dives, yet selecting both boat
> > and photo you get 210 dives shown (because some, but not all boat dives are
> > also photo dives)
>
>  IMHO I would expect to filter 230 dives. When filtering more items
> (multiselection) in the same category I would expect to ADD them.
> Form the mockup: If I select "Batman" and "Spiderman" in the buddies view I
> will get all the dives with one of them (OR)

And this is why it's confusing. Imagin you have three dives.

Dive 1: boat
Dive 2: photo
Dive 3: boat photo

So we show
boat (2)
photo (2)

but selecting both we get three dives selected. Not four.

> Basically, on multiselection I would expect OR vertically. AND orizontally.

That's how it's implemented already. Have you tried it?