Petrel 2 bluetooth link

Rick Walsh rickmwalsh at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 14:18:50 PDT 2015

On 7 August 2015 at 06:44, Rick Walsh <rickmwalsh at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Andrej,
>
> On 7 Aug 2015 6:06 am, "Andrej Prsa" <aprsa09 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > This has been discussed before and it seems that some people managed to
> > get it to work, but there seems to be no definitive way to get it to
> > work. I tried the FAQ entry and that didn't do it for me. I tried the
> > dongle that came with the DC as well as my built-in bluetooth, and both
> > times I'm seeing the same problem. I can pair with the DC without a
> > problem with:
> >
> >         sudo bluez-simple-agent hci0 [addr]
> >
> > I can initialize a connection with:
> >
> >         sudo rfcomm -i hci0 connect rfcomm0 [addr] 5
> >
> > But, in precisely 10 seconds, the DC displays SLIP RX: Timeout, and
> > syslog spews out the following:
> >
> > kernel: [ 9142.871813] Bluetooth: TIOCGSERIAL is not supported
> > ModemManager[744]: <info>  Creating modem with plugin 'Generic' and '1'
> ports
> > ModemManager[744]: <warn>  Could not grab port (tty/rfcomm0): 'Cannot
> add port 'tty/rfcomm0', unhandled serial type'
> > ModemManager[744]: <warn>  Couldn't create modem for device at
> '/sys/devices/virtual/tty/rfcomm0': Failed to find primary AT port
> > ModemManager[744]: <info>  Creating modem with plugin 'Generic' and '1'
> ports
> > ModemManager[744]: <warn>  Could not grab port (tty/rfcomm0): 'Cannot
> add port 'tty/rfcomm0', unhandled serial type'
> > ModemManager[744]: <warn>  Couldn't create modem for device at
> '/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb4/4-1/4-1.6/4-1.6:1.0/bluetooth/hci0/hci0:12/rfcomm0':
> Failed to find primary AT port
> > kernel: [ 9148.870288] Bluetooth: TIOCGSERIAL is not supported
> > kernel: [ 9148.870355] Bluetooth: TIOCGSERIAL is not supported
> > ModemManager[744]: <info>  (tty/rfcomm0): released by modem
> /sys/devices/virtual/tty/rfcomm0
> >
> > Tried and retried, to no avail. The DC always times out after 10 seconds.
> >
> > Any ideas/hints?
>
> Firstly, try the simplest options.
> 1) turn off your petrel, turn it back on again and try again. Sometimes
> this works.
> 2) try a fresh battery in the petrel. Bluetooth takes a bit of power for
> devices, and they struggle with low battery.

And another simple possibility, that trips people over all the time.  Are
you a member of the dialout group on your computer?  I just fell for that
one on a new computer.  To add yourself:

usermod -a -G dialout [username]

The log out and log in again.

> What distro are you using, and what version of bluez?  It appears you have
> bluez v4.x. I tested with bluez v5.x. Perhaps it works slightly differently
> with the earlier version.
>
> Also, what version of Subsurface? The latest stable is 4.4.2 and will be
> installable by adding a repository following instructions on the download
> page. Most distros include an older version.
>
> Shearwater released a firmware update a few weeks ago. Did you install it?
> I wrote that faq entry after testing with the previous firmware. I know the
> update changed how bluetooth communicates, at least with android devices.
> It might have altered the rfcomm channel too.

I just tested the rfcomm method (I usually use the development version of
subsurface, with native bluetooth support), and it still works for me with
the latest Petrel 2 firmware from Shearwater.  The rfcomm channel is still
5.