Petrel 2 bluetooth link

Andrej Prsa aprsa09 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 14:37:58 PDT 2015

Hi Rick,

> 1) turn off your petrel, turn it back on again and try again.
> Sometimes this works.

Check.

> 2) try a fresh battery in the petrel. Bluetooth takes a bit of power
> for devices, and they struggle with low battery.

Check.

> What distro are you using, and what version of bluez?  It appears you
> have bluez v4.x. I tested with bluez v5.x. Perhaps it works slightly
> differently with the earlier version.

My apologies, I should have included this earlier. I am running ubuntu
15.04 with bluez-4.101, and subsurface 4.4.2 via PPA. I don't have
windows/mac, so can't test other OSes (easily).

> Shearwater released a firmware update a few weeks ago. Did you
> install it?

Nope, firmware version is 28, Features 20080, Hardware 2.4.3.

> Do you have sdptool installed? It should be in a package called
> bluez-utils. Try running.
> sdptool -i hci0 records [addr]

This is how I figured out that the channel is 5; here's the output:

Service Name: Serial Port
Service RecHandle: 0x10000
Service Class ID List:
  "Serial Port" (0x1101)
Protocol Descriptor List:
  "L2CAP" (0x0100)
  "RFCOMM" (0x0003)
    Channel: 5

> And another simple possibility, that trips people over all the time.
> Are you a member of the dialout group on your computer?  I just fell
> for that one on a new computer.

Yep, I added myself to dialout and made sure I can touch /dev/rfcomm0.

> Finally, if you want to test a testing version of subsurface, the
> latest daily build includes native bluetooth support. No need to set
> up the connection with rfcomm or use sudo. How you install a daily
> build depends on your distro.

I'll do this right now.

Thanks a bunch for your help! I'll report on the latest subsurface
version as soon as I've tested it.

Cheers,
Andrej