Subsurface dive planner - List of findings

Robert C. Helling helling at atdotde.de
Sat Feb 14 08:38:33 PST 2015

Stefan,

thank you for your feedback!

> On 14 Feb 2015, at 16:28, Stefan Fuchs <sfuchs at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> Hallo Dirk,
>
> honestly I love the planner capabilities you built into subsurface. The implementation is from my point of view even nicer than e.g. V-Planner - and V-planner is really expensive.
> If it's ok for you I would like to help debugging the tool and maybe also add a few remarks for some enhancements.
>
> Here are a few more findings from testing the dive planner:
> - If I manually enforce a change from e.g. back gas TX21/35 to deco gas EAN50 in the dive plan
> "Planerpunkte" the tool will not show the gas change in the results "Tauchplandetails" any more

Although that is not transparent to the user, the planner distinguishes between waypoint („Planerpunkte“) that the user entered and those that were computed by the planner. The latter are thrown away every time the plan is recalculated and the user is not supposed to change those (apparently we need to make sure the user cannot change them). The way to force a change to a deco gas at a specific point in the deco is to manually set the „Change to“ depth in the gas list. The planner will always switch to that gas when reaching that depth.

> - When I save a planned dive with two gas changes e.g. to EAN50 and OXY, in the profile view the two gas changes exchange there position. You can even watch the two bottles walking to the other position.

This I cannot reproduce. Please be more specific how to reproduce that behaviour.

> - When I save a planned dive and then modify it again after saving and reopening also my logbook XML, I will have not only my input in the dive plan "Planerpunkte" but also all the calculated deco stops. Also in other cases some additional entries are added to the dive plan "Planerpunkte“.

The first thing is a known bug: The distinction between user entered and computed waypoints is not saved to the file, so upon loading them all waypoints appear as user entered when replanning. As a work around, you don’t have to delete all computed waypoints one by one but you hold the control key (command for Mac) when you click on the trash bin icon of the first computed waypoint and that will delete that waypoint and all following (that should be in the manual somewhere). Can you guide me how to reproduce the other apperance of waypoints?

> One idea for a maybe easy enhancement:
> - To quickly calculate "lost gas" scenarios it would be great to be able to enable/disable a gas in the gas list

You can do that with the „replan“ feature: You first plan the dive with all deco gases and save it to the dive list. Then you reopen it with „replan“ and delete the gas you want to delete and instead of „save“ press „save new“. This will add the dive with lost gas to the dive list in addition to what you have already. Of course you can repeat that for all gases.

> With the new dive planner I have the following issue:
> When I plan a dives the tool always uses the gases EAN33 and Tx50/15 while I didn't select them. I selected Tx21/35, EAN50 and Oxy for my dive.

The planner always comes up with the gases of the currently selected dive. That way you can plan a dive that is similar to an existing one. Or you can save fake dives to represent standard gas sets and start planning from those.

Best
Robert