Moving project to Android Studio

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Jan 13 12:17:27 PST 2015

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 01:10:57PM +0100, Aurélien PRALONG wrote:
> > I don't really see the "overkill" argument, since the switch doesn't
> introduce any significant amount of more code/config?
> Well, it is overkill in the sense that I am, to my knowledge, the only one
> to maintain the companion. And I was too lazy to install IntelliJ on my
> workstation :). As everyone seems to want the switch, I'll do it. Trying
> IntelliJ was on my TODO list anyways (even if I hate gradle / groovy).

See - it's all good. :-)

> > I'm thinking something down the line of exporting the companion data as
> gpx/kml/whatnot
> We already do GPX import. Adding GPX export would indeed make sense. And it
> would allow the companion to add the additional fields which are not
> supported in the web service. BTW, is there a GPX import in current desktop
> subsurface (I actually never ever installed nor launched it) ? If yes, is
> the "wpt/desc" field used ? Or should I use another for additional fields ?
>
> I'll try to do the changes in the next few weeks.

Thanks. One request - would it be possible to also change the name to
Subsurface-Companion ?

I know we talked about this when you first created the app and we agreed
to use Subsurface - I never expected that we'd get the full app on Android
(back then we were still on Gtk).

How much pain is that name change going to cause?

> > Sorry for bothering guys. See you on Trac
> No problem, any advice welcome.

I'm a bit surprised about this "bothering" comment.

No one should ever feel that their input is not welcome. The developers
may push back (after all, they need to do the work), but that doesn't mean
that we don't want all that input.

I keep asking for people to comment and provide input, most of the cool
new features that we have come from suggestions here on this list.

So please, don't take it negatively if people push back on suggestions.
Sometimes that just means you need to try harder to explain why your idea
or suggestion is the right one.