Updated Mac build instructions

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Jan 14 11:59:17 PST 2015

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 08:20:53PM +0100, Henrik Brautaset Aronsen wrote:
> Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> >On Fri, Jan 02, 2015 at 08:31:08PM +0100, Henrik Brautaset Aronsen wrote:
> >>- Uses latest Marble from official sources, no special branch or patches
> >>necessary.
> >
> >No. Not good. You get the weird Wiki-shit and strange context menues and
> >it tries to load plugins and all kind of oddities. We really don't want
> >the stock marble. Trust me
>
> Yeah, I see the ugly wiki stuff.  Haven't seen any other side effects
> though.

There were a couple of bugs where setting the position doesn't work with
the full Marble version. There still appears to be one bug that I haven't
tracked down, but since I switched the Windows binaries to use my hacked
Marble version the reports of issues with the globe have gone way down.

Now all of the "official" binaries use that branch :-)

> >>- Fewer options in Subsurface qmake.
> >>
> >>Disadvantages:
> >>- Somewhat longer Marble build instructions.  But I could make a script in
> >>packages/macosx/ to fix that (if anyone wants it).
> >
> >Have you looked at the SIZE of your marble libs? My guess is around
> >100MB...
>
> Nope, the upstream libs were less than 7MB (even when astro was included by
> mistake):

Oh good, so they fixed that but. Until not too long ago they always
created the Debug build, even when asking for a Release build.

> I've switched to the Subsurface-testing branch, successfully built
> Subsurface with it, and prepared new build docs.  Still not interested?

Of course I'm interested :-)