Petrel 2 Download

Rick Walsh rickmwalsh at gmail.com
Tue May 19 16:48:50 PDT 2015

On 20 May 2015 at 01:57, Anton Lundin <glance at acc.umu.se> wrote:
> On 20 May, 2015 - Rick Walsh wrote:
>
>> Thank you for your help and patience Anton,
>>

>> > Then try to connect via rfcomm:
>> >
>> > sudo rfcomm -i 00:15:83:3D:0A:57 connect /dev/rfcomm0 00:13:43:0E:6B:D0
>> >

>> Connecting is the bit that doesn't work, either from within
>> bluetoothctl or with rfcomm.
>>
>> sudo rfcomm -i 00:15:83:3D:0A:57 connect /dev/rfcomm0 00:13:43:0E:6B:D0
>> Can't connect RFCOMM socket: Connection refused
>>
>> I tried with -i hci1 (=00:15:83:3D:0A:57) too just for good luck.
>> sudo rfcomm -i hci1 connect /dev/rfcomm0 00:13:43:0E:6B:D0
>> Can't connect RFCOMM socket: Connection refused
>>

> Only times i've seen that behavior is when I've paired the device with
> something else in between. (I've have a OSTC Sport which also uses
> bluetooth, but not BLE)
>

> Just another wild guess is to try to switch to a fresh battery in your
> petrel. I've seen wierd problems with bluetooth in the Sport when the
> battery is a bit run down. I guess that the requirements of the
> bluetooth chip is higher than for the main micro. It usually spits out
> page framing error or something down that road.

I was getting ready to hit myself that it could have been something so
simple - I had the original alkaline battery that came with the
Petrel.  But no, I'm getting the same behaviour with a fresh battery.
One nice thing with the Petrel is that it does take ordinary alkaline
AA batteries so a new one won't break the bank.

> Just another wild guess is to test another rfcomm channel? You can take
> a look at what the device says with sdptool browse.

Thanks for the suggestion but still no luck.  I tried rfcomm0,
rfcomm1, rfcomm2 and rfcomm3.  All give:
Can't connect RFCOMM socket: Connection refused

I tried sdptool browse 00:13:43:0E:6B:D0 (after pairing was
successful).  It gives a message saying it's opening or reading the
device (I'm at work now and don't have the exact output).  Monitoring
what's happening with bluetoothctl running on a separate terminal
indicates it is attempting to connect, but drops it after a second or
less - same as when attempting to connect within bluetoothctl or with
rfcomm:

[CHG] Device 00:13:43:0E:6B:D0 Connected: yes
Failed to connect: org.bluez.Error.NotAvailable
[CHG] Device 00:13:43:0E:6B:D0 Connected: no

I think I'll try finding a live distro tonight with Bluez version 4,
rather than version 5 I'm currently using, to see if that helps.
Googling suggests many people have had issues with 5.

Rick