Question - working on some German Translations

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Oct 7 00:57:51 PDT 2015

On Wed, Oct 07, 2015 at 09:53:54AM +0200, Guido Lerch wrote:

> Ok, looking at the translation in transifex tells me German is 100%
> translated which I dispute as "download from cloud storage"
> is not German :-)

What this means is that we missed marking this string for translation :-(

Can you send a patch?

> Another thing to learn as I have no clue how transifex works but I'll read
> myself though it.

It's really easy. Click on the language, click translate now, then either
click "untranslated" in the top center (that will be useful for Swiss
German) or search for specific phrases where you want to improve
translations in the top left

> > > if the upload doesn't work. just consult with Dirk and send the
> > > translation as a patch, i guess.
> > > haven't seen translation patches sent to the mailing list in a while...
> >
> > Correct - whenever people do that I take them and deal with them and then
> > request that they switch to doing the work on transifex.
> >
> > So the same offer is of course valid for Guido. I'll take a patch and deal
> > with making it work. But I'd really prefer to have you just work on
> > transifex.
>
> Ok, Linguistic is really easy though, the huge diffs come from the xml tags
> because transifex used /> to terinate
> and Linguistic uses </translation>.

Yes, I'm aware of that.

> Of course I deal with what you want as you are the maintainer but IMHO
> Linguistic is a lot easier, at least from what
> I can see now.

The big difference is that it requres you to have a Qt toolchain
installed. Quite a few of our translators are just random divers who use
Subsurface, who may be on Windows and who certainly don't have Qt
installed.

And using both tools at the same time seriously increases the risk that
translations are lost. That's why we settled on the web based tool which
works everywhere with just a browser.