Subsurface companion app

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Sep 18 07:33:11 PDT 2015

> On Sep 18, 2015, at 7:13 AM, Willem Ferguson <fergusonwillem at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I am looking at the user manual text for the companion app. If one wishes to save single points instead of a continuous stream of points, it looks like there is not a simple way. As far as I can see one needs to select Start Service" to record single points. But it also initiates the streaming of locations. This generates automatically-generated points in the location list. If Start Service is not selected and one hits the + button to add a single location, the companion app hang with a message "Waiting for data..."?

This used to work - this was actually the first thing we implemented and then Linus convinced me that the service was much more useful to have. So I'll have to admit that I haven't used this in ages.

I am REALLY hoping that we can simply include this functionality in our full Android app and phase out the companion app, but right now there is zero progress on the Android app. Grace doesn't seem to have time and no one else is stepping up to work on it so I'm not sure what will happen there. It seems clear that we won't have anything that we can release with 4.5. So let's document what we have for the companion app.