Divecomputer-reading from Mobile devices (Was: Divemate Fusion)

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sat Apr 9 07:31:32 PDT 2016

> On Apr 9, 2016, at 4:55 AM, Jeroen Massar <jeroen at massar.ch> wrote:
>
> On 2016-04-08 18:19, Robert Helling wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> today, I had a lunch meeting with Lars and Martin the authors of the
>> Divemate dive log for Android and iOS and and Divemate fusion USB
>> connectors. We had a chat about their products and subsurface and
>> exchanged some ideas. In particular the Fusion (which exists in two
>> versions, one infrared and one USB, see http://www.divemate.de) allows
>> to read out dive computers from smartphones (including iPhones).
>
> I have been thinking about doing something similar, and as ny kind of
> Bluetooth device can works and bluetooth can just do serial comms, it
> would be relatively easy.
>
> One could take a Arduino with a USB and Bluetooth port and it would not
> be too hard to let them talk together.
>
> That way that device would just be a middle man in case a device does
> not do Bluetooth. But, as it is standard serial over Bluetooth, it would
> also become very very easy to support many devices on either side
> (Android, iPhone one one, and heck even a normal computer with bluetooth
> and no USB).

This would work for most dive computers - the Suunto EON Steel and the Atomics Aquatics Cobalt wouldn't work because they speak actual USB, not serial over USB.
But I think a device like this with a small software stack on it would be a fabulous extension of Subsurface. If there is anything I can do to encourage you to create this, please let me know!!!