Subsurface-mobile for Android first release

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Mar 11 08:16:46 PST 2016

> On Mar 11, 2016, at 7:39 AM, Willem Ferguson <willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za> wrote:
>
> On 11/03/2016 16:58, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>>
>> I wonder if you are running out of memory. Subsurface (because of the way
>> it is built, and the interaction with git) is a fairly memory hungry
>> application... what phone/tablet is that on? Do you happen to know how
>> much memory that device has?
>>
>> /D
>>
> I use a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge with 32 Gb RAM. I run the software no problem at all on my wife's Galaxy S3 with only 8 Gb RAM.

I'm 99.999% sure that you are talking about the amount of flash in those devices, not RAM. I think I've seen reports of 8GB phones, but I don't think any ship, yet. Most phones have between 2GB and 4GB RAM these days, some 1GB. And it's the 1GB ones where I worry that we might run out of memory.

But on an S6 Edge should have 3GB and definitely not have problems with this.

> But still this does not guarantee that I do not run out of RAM on 5.1.1 because who knows how Android 5.1.1 does memory management compared to Android 4.3? On the S3 the mobile app is rock-solid.
>
> I forgot to mention one thing. On both the S3 and the S6 using build 1058, when I delete a dive the undo button does not appear at all.

I will look into this. Yet another show stopper :-(
Undo really has to work or people will be unhappy.