Subsurface as a Snap?

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Dec 21 06:39:50 PST 2017

> On Dec 21, 2017, at 1:30 AM, Henrik B A <henrik at synth.no> wrote:
>
> Has anyone looked into how feasible it would be to build Subsurface as a Snap?  It would be an alternative to the AppImage.
>
> Ref. https://docs.snapcraft.io/build-snaps/c <https://docs.snapcraft.io/build-snaps/c>
Snap and Flatpak both are different takes on what we already have with AppImage.
The goal of AppImage was to have fewer builds to worry about. And it brilliantly does that.
So unless there is something that is a) better and b) completely replaces AppImage, I'm
not sure why we'd spend time on it.

The share of Linux users in our overall user base has been declining for years. Admittedly,
my data there is not necessarily correct as it relies on connections to the update server,
but I think it's a reasonable indication of rough orders of magnitude.