Quirks of the Subsurface dive planner

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Mon Feb 13 12:07:22 PST 2017

On 30/01/2017 10:28, Robert Helling wrote:

> I will have to look into this with more time. Please keep nudging me
> until this is resolved.

I did quite a bit of checking of the planner using Version 4.6.1. I have
three points that I think need attention (marked by ****) and some comments.

*Merging dives with dive plans:*

As far as I can see there are no bugs except for:

*** *In the dive notes the concatenation of notes for the real dive and
for the dive plan are done as (Dive notes) or (Dive plan text)
The text in red, above, is actually printed as part of the dive notes.
/A clear bug/.

*Editing a dive plan using the planner:*

I save the plan, select it again on the dive list and open it for
editing within the dive planner.
1) **** Points with zero time duration have been added in the Dive
Planner Points table. Actually, when re-editing the plan and the
duration of the descent/ascent segment is less than 1 min, the segment
is given as having zero duration. In the dive plan details before
storing the plan, the ascent/descent durations have correct durations,
usually 1 minute. This creates ambiguity in interpreting the plan being
edited. /See the attached Screenshot.jpg. I think this needs to be
changed to be unambiguous. At present, the printed dive plan and its
representation in the Dive Planner Points table actually do not
correspond if one compared the runtime and depths for each row in the
two representations. (This is the 2nd last 26m dive in the dive log I
previously sent you)./

2) On the profile, a section on back gas has been inserted. If I delete
the zero-duration-points referred to above, this extra gas segment
disappears: /This issue is solved as far as I can see./

3) In the planner, the cylinder pressure is not shown in the Information
Box in the Profile panel. This is a pity because it is extremely useful
to be able to see the expected cylinder pressure during the different
phases of the dive: /This issue is solved as far as I can see./

4) Re-opening a dive for editing in the planner, the part of the dive
where the planner initially calculated the deco profile, (upon
re-editing) comes up as hard depth/time milestones (i.e. fixed and
indicated by small white circles as if they were forced (explicitly
specified in the Dive Planner Points table) all the way to the surface
during the initial planning.

> There is (at least currently) no way in our file format to record the
> distinction between manually entered points and computed points.
> Whenever we go through a file on disk, the whole profile is considered
> manually entered. That is a problem of the file format.

/This is a limitation we have to live with for now, but we need more
elegant treatment of the dive plan. I have a few ideas about dealing
with this within the context of the existing dive structure, but I think
they will be frowned upon. For instance, the depths of auto-planned
points could be represented as negative numbers. Basically, outside of
the planner, negative /*planner*/points on the profile are drawn by
ignoring the sign. In contrast, within the planner, the negative numbers
are deleted, forcing the planner to recalculate the plan by using the
existing "hard-coded" time/depth milestones. But I suspect most
experienced programmers will consider such an approach as very ad hoc.
The first prize is the ability of the dive plan to look exactly like it
was when it was saved with no hard time/depth milestones in the part of
the dive that was planned by the software.

/*Unwanted gas change events:*/
**** I thought Linus resolved this matter when looking at Miika's case
of two dive computers with clashing orders of cylinder definitions. At
present, if I first define a cylinder with EAN50, then afterwards a
cylinder with EAN32: if the first segment of the dive plan uses EAN32
(i.e. the second cylinder and gas definition in the Available Gases
table), there is an unwanted gas change from EAN50 to EAN32 at the very
start of the dive. Is there any way avoid creating this gas change event?

/*Multi-row edits of dive points table:*/
/

> This is (at least semi-) intentional. You get the behavior you want by
> right clicking on the waypoint in the profile and inserting a gas
> change. I always thought this is the expected behavior: In the table
> you change a single leg of the dive, as this is what a row corresponds
> to, in the profile you insert a gas change that stays valid until the
> next explicit gas change. One might think about allowing several rows
> of the table to be selected simultaneously and then editing one
> affecting all selected. Let’s see if we can do that.

/I do not think this has been implemented yet?/

*Weird gas pressure profiles:*
There are two anomalies that probably have nothing to do with your two
pull requests, but maybe you understand this better than I do. There are
unexpected horizontal and/or vertical sections in the cylinder pressures
in the plan. These anomalies are associated with gas changes. /I cannot
repeat these anomalies reliably. If I come across this again, I will
make contact.
/
Finally, the planner operates in a much more predictable way at the
moment (V4.6.1) and I have confidence in using it for complicated dive
plans. There has really been some significant progress and I can see
some time has lately gone into this code. Thank you very much for this time.

Kind regards,
willem