Translations

Stefan Fuchs sfuchs at gmx.de
Mon Feb 20 06:20:53 PST 2017

Hello Tim,

Am 20.02.2017 um 14:52 schrieb Tim Wootton:

> The Subsurface CodingStyle file provides this guidance for these
> situations:
>
>   Only the first word of multi-word text strings should be captalized
> unless
>   a word would normally be capitalized mid-sentance, like Africa. This
> applies
>   to all UI text including menus, menu items, tool-tips, button text
> and label
>   text etc. e.g. "Check for updates" rather than "Check for Updates".
>
>   Abbreviations should end with a period, e.g. "temp." not "temp" for
>   temperature.
>
> There doesn't seem to be a view on the full-stop (period) at the and
> of a sentence, perhaps we should add one, as the key here IMHO is
> consistency.
I 100% agree with this and also your second mail.

There should be also a rule how to continue after a colon ":". IMHO in
most cases with a capital letter.
E.g.:
Wrong: Warning: this is more gas than available in the specified cylinder!
Correct: Warning: This is more gas than available in the specified cylinder!

What makes the story a little bit difficult is that a single string in
the source code notnecessarily ends up as one string in the UI. So one
needs to be a careful and always check the final result in the UI.

Best regards
Stefan

--

Stefan Fuchs